Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

There's a first for everything....

...and today I dyed some clothes!  I've never tried it before, but had a denim skirt that was too faded and an white kid's t-shirt that was stained a little.  So, I went to Hobby Lobby and bought some RIT dye (I know there are much better out there, but it was readily available!), and did it in the washing machine!  Scary I know...it' looks like they have turned out great though, and before I bleach the washing machine, I'm going to throw in some bamboo diapers and dye them purple! 

To clean the machine, I'm going to run a load of white towels and bleach through...if they come out white, we should be safe!  (Just to make sure, I'll likely run dark loads through first after the whites)

I did cheat a little...it said to dissolve the dye in 2 cups of water first, then add...I just filled 2 inches of hot water in the machine then stirred in the dye, wet the shirt under the hot water filling the machine, and let it go.  I did wet the skirt in the sink as the washing machine quit filling before I was ready ;).  I also was supposed to let it agitate for 30 mins, but my sweet daughter turned off my timer for me, and I forgot to reset the machine before it drained and rinsed...OOPS!  My fault.  But I had dumped in the whole package of dye so I think it still worked!

Fun experiment, hope the diapers are just as fun!

No comments: